New Dorothea Schlözer Funding Scheme “Career promotion of female scientists” (apply by 15 March 2023)
The University of Göttingen set up a new funding scheme within the Dorothea Schlözer Program funded by the Programme for Female Professors III. The scheme “Career promotion of female scientists” is aiming to compensate for structural disadvantages of women in science and, in the long term, to increase the proportion of women at all stages of the scientific career.
Addressing the individual requirements of young female scientists the programme supports projects or activities, which are significantly improving the chances of reaching the next career stage. Thereby the programme closes funding gaps and complements other existing funding measures, e.g. other schemes of the Dorothea Schlözer Programme and the Graduate Schools. Challenging life circumstances, such as care tasks (childcare, nursing) and Corona-related restrictions are taken into account during the funding decision. Application deadline is 15 March 2023.
Object of the funding
- Female scientists can apply for financial measures as well as time resources to enable them to provide and expand required (additional) performances within the scientific career. These include:
- Post-doctoral fellowships
- Start-up funding for the development/preparation of a research proposal (max. 10.000 €)
- Individual measures, e.g. holding a conference, participation in (international) meetings and conferences, travel for field and archive research, grants for editing, proofreading and transcription of particularly career-enhancing papers and publications, career-supporting
measures (e.g. individual coaching/ training in the preparation of audition lectures and selection interviews)
- Support for scientific work by financing a student or research assistant
- Financing of childcare during parental leave in order to gain time for further scientific qualification (for children between 3 months up to 1 year without regular day care)
This list is not final. In case of other requirements, please contact the programme coordinator (see below for contact details).
Eligible applicants: Those eligible to apply are female students in their final stage of studies (aiming for a doctorate) up to late postdocs. Employment or enrolment at the University of Göttingen is required. Funding for female master’s students (no MA degree yet) is only possible in areas or courses of study where the drop-out of women in the transition to doctoral studies is particularly high. UMG employees and female medical students are not eligible to apply due to the funding regulations of the Programme for Female Professors III.
Volume of the funding: Depending on its use the funding volume of an individual application is limited. Funding requires co-financing of the project from financial resources (not from third-party funds) of the faculty/institute/supervisor of the applicant (25,8% of the total amount). If a measure applied for has already been funded elsewhere in the past, renewed or additional funding is excluded (no double funding).
The volume of this call is 80.000 €.
- Scientific qualification of the applicant (quality of examination results, doctorate, publications, etc. – depending on the stage of her career)
- Career-promoting effect of the planned measure, taking into account the suitability of the measure to the applicant’s situation
- Previous or current restrictions to career development, if applicable
- Funding needs, taking into account the previous and current job and funding situation
The funding decision is based in particular on the maintenance and increase of the proportion of women in the respective subject area. If necessary, data for the respective faculties or courses of study by the Gender Equality Monitoring (Controlling Unit) are checked. When evaluating the scientific qualification of an applicant, the usual equality- and diversity-oriented criteria (e.g. care responsibilities, disability/ illness) as well as corona-related restrictions are taken into account.
Application procedere: The following documents must be submitted:
- Filled application form
- Meaningful description of the measure applied for (max. 3 pages) including
- Justification of the career-promoting effect
- Description of the current qualification stage and the next career steps
- If applicable, description of previous delays or obstacles (e.g. multiple (work-)loads during
Corona pandemic, health limitations)
- Current job and funding situation
- Curriculum vitae including the usual documents; students: proof of enrollment
- If necessary further relevant documents
- Statement of the academic supervisor or professor of the relevant faculty/ institution
- Confirmation of co-financing by the relevant faculty/institute/supervisor
The application form and further information can be found at the following website: https://www.uni-goettingen.de/ds-careerpromotion
Important notice: When applying for measures No. 1, 2 or 5 listed above, consultation with the programme coordinator is mandatory; for all other measures, consultation is strongly recommended. Application submission: Complete applications can be submitted until 15th of March 2023 by E-mail in the form of one pdf file to: Equal Opportunity and Diversity Unit, Tina Bergmann: Tina.Bergmann@zvw.uni-goettingen.de
Contact: Programme coordinator Tina Bergmann, E-mail: Tina.Bergmann@zvw.uni-goettingen.de, phone: 0551/ 29 26326