GGNB PhD Workshop: “Challenges and Opportunities in Management Consulting – an interactive business simulation” on 12 Oct 2018
The GGNB offers the PhD workshop “Challenges and Opportunities in Management Consulting – an interactive business simulation” on 12 October for which there are still slots available. The workshop is open to all GAUSS PhD students as well as postdocs and places will be confirmed on a first-come-first-serve basis. To register please send an email including a short statement on your motivation to join the workshop to email@example.com.
- Date: Friday, 12 October 2018
- Duration: 1 day: 9-17h
- Location: Faculty of Physics, SR14, B.01.135 (SR20)
- Target Group: Junior researchers who are contemplating their next career step.
- Goals: Develop awareness about your specific individual skills and practice how to communicate them effectively in professional contexts.
Did you always think that science and business are two entirely different worlds? You may need to think again!
In an interactive workshop you will have the opportunity to gain insights into up-to-date top management issues. Working in small teams from different backgrounds, you will have the chance to experience how to apply skills and knowledge from a natural science background to management consulting.
Your team and you will take a number of strategic and operational decisions to improve the success of your enterprise. You will develop new processes, make crucial investments or evaluate expansions to ensure sustainable success of your enterprise. A business simulation will allow you to directly experience the impact and consequences of your decisions and learn how to combine scientific thinking with business judgment. In addition there will be ample time for discussions with A.T. Kearney consultants to give you an authentic impression of the company, and of work in management consulting in general.
A.T. Kearney is a leading global management consultancy firm that uses strategic insight, tailored solutions and a collaborative working style to help clients achieve sustainable results. With a broad range of capabilities and expertise in all major industries, its service offerings range across the spectrum from strategy through implementation. A.T. Kearney was founded in Chicago in 1926 and opened its first overseas office in Düsseldorf in 1964. Today, A.T. Kearney has 3.600 employees that are based in 62 offices located in major business centers in 41 countries around the globe. A.T. Kearney is committed to sustainability and is carbon neutral across its global operations.
- Great opportunity to learn first-hand about the type of work that is consulting.
- Very sympatric trainers, competent in answering all questions put on them by PhD students planning their next career steps. Really helpful.
- Interesting insights into some consultant methods and a nice and fun company simulation (although most likely not very realistic).
- The openness of the trainers really helped me gain new insights into consulting.
- TiT game makes you put your thinking cap on and troubleshoot and improve your performance at various levels. One realizes that there is immense scope of improvement and the stimulating brain-storming sessions are very satisfying.