Lab Manager in Vienna (Superti-Furga lab at CeMM), apply by 31 May 2019
The Superti-Furga lab at the Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Science (CeMM) is currently looking for a highly motivated Lab Manager (m/f/x) with excellent organizational skills, implementation strength and communication talent. This versatile role is perfectly suitable for a scientist with professional experience in academia or industry who has got profound knowledge in lab organization and administration, and who is eager to help ensure smooth processes in the laboratory. They are specifically looking for a candidate who is fluent in English and German, and who is experienced in project and process management, as well as in budget administration and compliance management. Apply by 31 May 2019!
In this important role you will support the Scientific Director, Prof. Dr. Giulio Superti-Furga, and his research group in a variety of tasks: You will play a key role in the organization and the management of the laboratory and with your proactive workstyle and your process management skills you will help to ensure smooth workflows in the lab. In your day-to-day business you will be responsible for the coordination of all organizational lab activities, you will be in charge of the administration of the group’s budget, the material ordering and the inventory. Being the communication hub of the research group, you will participate proactively in lab meetings and you will keep the team informed with regular updates. You will use your leadership skills to ensure the compliance of all team members with the standard operating procedures, and you will provide professional training and supervision to new employees joining the lab.
Your key tasks in this position:
- Organization of the laboratory
- Ensuring efficient processes and workflows and functionality of lab equipment
- Ensuring compliance with SOPs and safety standards
- Establishing, updating and improving SOPs (standard operating procedures)
- Providing training in wet-lab techniques and supervision to scientists and technical assistants working at the bench
- Coordinating lab activities, organizing meetings and events
- Selecting and ordering material using the SAP software system
- Keeping the overview of the inventory
- Administration of third party funds
- Participating proactively in lab meetings, taking minutes
- Ensuring straight and efficient communication within the group
- Regular meetings with the Scientific Director
- Business correspondence
- Supporting recruiting activities of the lab
- Supporting on- and off-boarding procedures of joining and leaving team members
- Updating the laboratory web pages content-wise
- Managing a laboratory alumni network
The Superti-Furga lab
The Superti-Furga group is an international team of more than 30 scientists working together on the understanding drug function. The research focus in the Superti-Furga laboratory is on understanding how cells and biological systems in general manage access to the environment through cellular transport. In particular how access to nutrients and energy source is tuned to metabolism and cell’s needs. Moreover the lab has pioneered approaches for functional precision medicine. The approach is truly interdisciplinary and involves functional genomics and proteomics, structural analysis, chemical biology, high-content imaging, bioinformatics and physiology, reflecting the blend of expertise of the laboratory members. See http://superti-furga-lab.at/ and https://re-solute.eu/
The mission of CeMM, the Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences is to achieve maximum scientific innovation in molecular medicine to improve healthcare. At CeMM, an international and creative team of scientists and medical doctors pursues free-minded basic life science research in a large and vibrant hospital environment of outstanding medical tradition and practice. CeMM’s research is based on post-genomic technologies and focuses on societally important diseases, such as immune disorders and infections, cancer and metabolic disorders. We operate in a unique mode of super-cooperation, connecting biology with medicine, experiments with computation, discovery with translation, and science with society and the arts, and train a modern blend of biomedical scientists to make great contributions. The goal of CeMM is to pioneer the science that nurtures the precise, personalized, predictive and preventive medicine of the future. CeMM is located in the center of Vienna, the most liveable city – confirmed for the tenth time in a row by Mercer’s international comparative study.
- Proven past experience working in research/academia
- Life science background (e.g. MSc degree, PhD degree or extensive training as technical assistant)
- Very good knowledge of standard lab techniques and laboratory materials
- Professional experience in the management of a laboratory is of advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (C1) and German (C1), and no inhibitions to use the German language
- Organizational talent
- Excellent communication skills
- High accuracy and general understanding of bookkeeping and calculating
- Very good MS office skills
- Reliability and high degree of responsibility
- Project management skills
- Leadership skills
- Excellent time management skills, efficient and pro-active workstyle
- An exciting and collaborative work environment at the forefront of biomedical research.
- Diverse set of tasks in a meaningful, inspiring, international setting.
- An attractive employee benefits package including health insurance, company health care, competitive holiday allowance and daily bonus for the in-house cafeteria.
- Our team of HR professionals supports your relocation to Vienna, ranked as most liveable city worldwide.
- An annual salary (gross) of min. EUR 42,000 on a full time base. The salary is compliant with the applicable collective agreement including an overpayment depending on the qualifications of the applicant.
- We offer a long-term perspective in a lab management position with an interesting area of responsibility and the opportunity to contribute with your work to the future of personalized medicine.
CeMM aims to promote equality of opportunity for all with the right mix of talent, competences and potential. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds. Please upload your application documents (cover letter, CV, names and contact details of two former supervisors) to: https://cemm.jobbase.io/job/4ccpqzrf
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2019