DHV Workshop „Individual application training for professorial appointment procedures (Berufung)“ 7-8 Nov 2019
Use potentials! – for natural and engineering scientists as well as physicians (2 days) organised by the German Higher Education Organisation (Deutscher Hochschulverband, DHV). ONLY IN GERMAN.
- Date: 07.11.2019, 09:30 o’clock – 08.11.2019, 16:30 o’clock
- Location: Gustav Stresemann Institute; Long Grabenweg 68, 53175 Bonn, Germany
- Costs: 429,00 EUR including seminar documents, lunch snack and drinks, DVD
If participation fees are not paid by the university, you may be able to deduct them from your own taxes as income-related expenses or operating expenses.
- Accommodation: Single rooms can be booked via the DHV contingent at the Gustav Stresemann Institute (Langer Grabenweg 68, 53175 Bonn).
Please note: Room reservations at the GSI via the DHV are only possible up to eight weeks before the event!
- Registration: Apply here
The application and appointment procedure with regard to a university professorship is a decisive interface in the career of young female scientists, especially before their first appointment. In addition to the “hard factors” of academic qualification, the “soft factors” of personal appearance play a decisive role in the success of the application. Therefore the self-presentation in the application documents, during the application presentation and in the interview with the Appointments Committee, requires careful preparation. You can practice this in a protected atmosphere and under professional guidance.
In this two-day application training for natural and technical scientists and physicians who are about to enter the “hot” application phase, professional advisors provide assistance and practical tips for optimising the application process and application documents. Participants receive individual feedback on their application documents and feedback on a presentation that is recorded on video. In a role play, the non-public interview with the appointment committee is trained in a practical manner. The negotiation strategies from a legal perspective will be explained by a legal expert from the German University Association. A professor gives tips on strategic aspects of appointment negotiations and reports on her own experiences from appointment commissions.
Topics (the full program is available here):
- Elements of the Application and Appointment Process at Universities in Germany
- Comprehensive preparation for applications
- Representation of the own profile: The design of the application documents
- Self-management in the “hot application phase”.
- Self-presentation during the application presentation (with video recording)
- Role play “Non-public discussion with the Appeals Commission” (in German)
- Successful Negotiation: Strategies for Appointment Negotiations
- Prof. Dr. Ruth Grümmer, University Hospital Essen, Institute of Anatomy
- Dr. Margarete Hubrath, Trainer and Consultant, uni-support, Krefeld
- RA Birgit Ufermann, legal advisor for university and tax law in the German University Association