GAUSS Career Workshop: “Networking in Science”, 10-11 Dec 2018
We are happy to announce our next GAUSS Career Service workshop “Networking in Science” by Silke Oehrlein-Karpi for postdoctoral scientists and late-stage PhD students.
Networking is the most effective career building method! It works by developing relationships and talking with people who can support you to explore career options and goals. Studies show that 70% to 90% of satisfying positions inside and outside of academia are found through proper self-promotion and networking. In order to be able to operate successfully, good contacts are often helpful both to the people you are helping, as well as to relevant PIs, collaborators and colleagues. This network of grown relationships offers professional support, advice and information in your daily work. The right internal and external network contacts and collaborations can facilitate work processes, additionally, by encouraging and motivating you. In short: a functioning and vital network can increase joy and satisfaction at your job.
- Dates: Monday and Tuesday, 10-11 December 2018
- Duration: 1.5 days, Monday (14-18h) & Tuesday (9-17h)
- Location: GZMB building, seminar room 0.233
- Trainer: Dr. Silke Oehrlein-Karpi
- Registration: Please register here and send an email to email@example.com including a short statement on your motivation to attend the workshop.
A prerequisite for successful networking is an appropriate balance between giving and taking. Therefore, a clear objective is necessary. The best contacts are worthless if you are not sure for which purpose you need your contacts – clear positioning is crucial. On the other hand, your counterpart should be clear about the benefits s/he would receive from cooperating with you. The clearer these benefits and targets are defined; the more direct a contact person is able to respond to your concern, offer information or make relevant suggestions. Such a joined experience may become a starting point for further cooperation.
In this workshop, you will
- understand the relevance of self-marketing & networking in relation to your own professional and personal development.
- sharpen your personal profile and work out your individual core skills and qualities supported by self-reflection and feedback.
- …. read more