Update: 3MT Competition 2019 – Call for applications
Dear doctoral students,
Are you a PhD student at the University of Göttingen? Can you present the core message of your doctoral thesis in just three minutes? Can you explain your research to a group of lay people – in English? And finally: are you interested in a trip to Krakow should you be among the final contestants? Then this is something for you!
We are delighted to launch the call for the third Coimbra Group Three-Minute-Thesis (CG 3MT) Competition.
The final of the CG Three Minute Thesis (3MT) will be held at the CG Annual Conference at the University of Krakow, on 5-7 June 2019. Member Universities – such as the University of Göttingen – are encouraged to hold their own competitions to select their best candidate for entry into the CG 3MT Competition in Krakow.
The competition here in Göttingen will be on 13 February 2019 at ZHG001 starting at 5 p.m..
For those who are interested in participating in a first 3 MT Thesis Competition in Göttingen, here some information about the preparation of the presentations:
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- A single static slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description).
- The title slide should contain the name of the university, the name of the contestant, the title of the presentation and the research area should be submitted along with the slide illustrating the talk.
- No additional props (e.g. laser pointer, costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment, animated backgrounds) are permitted
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted within the video recording.
- The presentations will be filmed, a Göttingen-based panel will elect the best presentation which will be sent to the Coimbra Group panel after the Göttingen competition.
- Deadline for registration as contestant is 20 January 2019.
- By accepting to participate in the CG 3MT competition, contestants agree to have their video available on the CG website
To register as a contestant in the 3MT Competition 2019, please send an email with the following information to the GAUSS Office:
- Graduate school and faculty
- Title of the presentation
For an impression on what 3MT means, have a look at the presentation of the contest in 2017 at https://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/in-three-minutes-to-edinburgh-coimbra-groups-three-minute-thesis-competition-/558795.html. Tanvi Butola was elected to travel to Edinburgh to represent Göttingen at the CG Annual Conference and reached the second place.